Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June 5- San Antonio

In my lifetime, I would like to write stories that show the impossible is possible. I want to write about people from poor family backgrounds becoming successful in their life. I want to report on a three legged dog saving a man from a fire (God forbid anyone gets into that situation). In doing so, I want to let people know it is normal to dream and work hard for what they want to be because it can come true one day.

On the subject of truth, the south side of town has a negative image from the media. This part of town is not so bad. The people living here are disadvantaged with book stores and learning centers. I can’t help but question why it took so long to get Best Buy over here? Were they scared and considered this side of town a big risk? Everyone here feels it.

Simple things like those mentioned don’t keep people down. What makes things special around here are families and parental involvement. In my neighborhood there are boys who play football at a nearby pond. The coaches are fathers or uncles and the mothers teach cheerleading routines to young girls in shaded areas. Parents sit on the bleachers, making run to the stores for Gatorade and snacks. They are ready to help with anything needed. Families come together and sell barbecue plates to buy team uniforms. That is something I would like to write about one day. The south side community grows in positive directions and receives no attention for it.

No comments: