Wednesday, June 20, 2007

June 20- Granada

Today we had a seven-hour journey to Granada. It is not really as long as it seems. I´ve gotten used to sleeping on the bus. My body goes into shutdown mode, and I grab my Curious George pillow buddy and fall asleep.

We had the best dinner today at our hotel! I ate ham, plenty of olives, salad, pineapple and other desserts. I finally feel full today. I am used to eating heavy, hearty meals at home. It feels like I am constantly starving, eating at every hour. Ham and bread aren´t enough for me. All the walking we do burns off our perfectly portioned meals before you know it.

While we were in Barcelona, we had the opportunity to see some of Gaudi´s work. When we first arrived, we walked through Parque Guell. This is the most colorful and beautifully designed park I had ever seen. There were flowers of all different colors that complimented the mosaic tiles that were placed on benches and even a large lizard fountain. There were large pillars and when looking at the ceiling, it reminded me of a large container of ice cream with perfect scoop indentions.

The group walked off the park grounds and headed to Sagrada Familia, a cathedral. The cathederal had deep, cave like arches. A lot of parts on it were rounded, adding a soft edge to its gothic apperance. It looked dark, but modern. It was unfinished so we could not go in. We could only admire it from a distance.

Thinking back to the cathedral's apperance, it makes me think Gaudi let his mind go free on blue prints. When I think of the park, I see so much beauty and airy areas that enhance the whole outdoor feel. His work was different from everything else we saw that day because it had unique touches, like color and specific architecture details.

No comments: