Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 21- Costa Del Sol

I saw blue waters, sand and families on the beach when I looked out the window. I had been on the bus for two hours. I was asleep most of the way over here from Granada. I didn´t have a chance to rub my eyes yet, and I was visually floored by all the hotels, bars and resturants. I have looked forward to Costa Del Sol the whole trip.

When I walked through the Alhambra Gardens in Granada earlier in the day, I couldn´t stop thinking about the beach. I saw flowers, unique architecture and large bushes with large doorway cutouts. Throughout the garden we had a view of the whole city. It was amazing!

For today's assignment, we are covering the reconquest of Spain. The Moors controlled two thirds of the peninsula. They had the most powerful ¨taifas¨ based in Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Almeria, Zaragoza, Badajoz and Toledo. Religion isn´t what controlled the political map; it was kingdoms who kept turning their back on one another and formed alliances.

One Sevillan ruler named Motadid used human skulls as flowerpots around his place and kept heads of defeated rivals in leather cases. He would take them out once in a while to admire his fine work.

Sancho III, or refered to as ¨the Great¨married the sister of a Castillan ruler, killed his brother in law and gained control of Castilla. He then put his own son in charge. Ferdinand I occupied Leon and assumed the title of ¨Emperor of the Spains.¨

Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, also known as ¨El Cid¨ was a young knight who became one of the main figures in Spanish history. El Cid was exhiled by Alfonso VI and fought in service of the Moores. El Cid was adopted by Christain Spain as a national hero.

The Christians were responsible for the Moors expulsion. Jews were also expelled because they were blamed for the outbeak of the Black Death, econimic crises, refused to accept Christianity as their new religion and other various troubles. The Christians believed if the Jews were gone, all troubles would go with them.

No comments: